We held a street stall in Northwich today and have some great conversations with dozens of Northwich Residents. We spoke to a few potential new members too!!
The main concerns people raised were as follows:
1. We ran a ‘Brexitometer’ and you can see the results for your self in the picture!
2.The distinctly below average performance of Cheshire West and Chester Council (CWaC)
3.An overwhelming no to the idea of parking charges at Baron’s Quay?
4.A big no to Tata’s plan to incinerate 50% more waste
5. Comments on Victoria Infirmary (VIN) included :
- We need VIN but I don’t mind where is located
- VIN is such a useful resource
- VIN must not be changed – it offers a fantastic service
- Keep VIN as it is a local resource, don’t send services to Leighton
- We need to keep it in town as some people have trouble travelling outside.
- There should be a hydro pool
- Concern that there are no adult autism services
6. We have a flourishing town centre, but we must get some retailers into the vacant space in Baron’s Quay
7. General concerns were expressed about :
- Roads and general infrastructure
- Junior doctors workload
- Not enough schools and GP’s for new housing
- Builders charging management fees of typically £250 a year to manage green spaces which should be funded by CWaC.
- The ‘Leasehold Ground Rent Scandal ‘ affecting newly built houses
- Too many bins, CWaC should copy Cheshire East
- A feeling that CWaC is too Chester centric
It was a very productive morning and we look forward to hearing a lot more from people across the area as our campaign for the May 2019 Local Elections gathers pace.
If you want to help us get in touch HERE
Please follow us Facebook HERE or Twitter HERE.
As part of the Lib Dem National Day of Action we are holding two Street Stalls one in Frodsham (10.00 am to 14.00 ) this Thursday (6th September) in Main Street outside the former Nat West branch and the other next Saturday (8th September) in Witton Street, Northwich from 09:00-13: 00.
Alongside our Campaign, for an ‘Exit from Brexit’, we want to find out what Local and National Issues matter most to local people: It’s a great chance to raise our profile ahead of the May 2019 Local Elections too.
It will be interesting to see what issues come up perhaps
-Proposed Parking Charges at Barons Quay?
-Proposed movement of Health services at Victoria Health centre to Leighton?
–Frodsham Neighbourhood Plan?
-The campaign for the public to have the final say on Brexit?
It would be great if you could come along and have a chat we want to hear from you.
My Statement to the Media
Tarporley and surrounding towns and villages have been completely ignored in the Conservative government’s latest rail strategy.
Local people, backed by the Liberal Democrats, have been clamouring for the re-opening of Tarporley and Beeston Castle Station but have been snubbed by the Tories. Over 1100 local residents have signed a petition (see HERE) calling for the re-opening of the Station.
Local Liberal Democrat campaigner Ian Priestner said:
“For too long the people of Tarporley have been ignored by the Tories.
“The local economy will be greatly boosted by improvements to the local rail infrastructure. The Conservative MP and Councillor have completely failed to stand up for local interests.
“This is a wasted opportunity to fix our local railway, vital for commuting and business alike. Instead, the Tories have gone off track leaving Tarporley and its residents shunted into a siding “